Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Why Whippoorwill's Singing?

I stole it from the lyrics of Poco's oh so beautiful song Magnolia (written by JJ Cale). Actually the first two words of the first line...Whippoorwill's singing, on a soft summer breeze. It's a line that simply by hearing makes me feel peaceful inside.

A friend once told me to listen to the song, told me hearing it would be "life altering". I thought to myself at the time, hmmm yeah ok...whatever. (just kidding friend) 

I did listen and absolutely loved it. It's one of those songs that make you feel. I mean really feel deep down inside. Something about the sparse words and the way Paul Cotton sings them, the music, the beauty of Rusty Young's steel guitar, all combined and working together to pull something real and alive outside yourself. Can music be life altering? Definitely yes. Is this song to me? Oh yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment