Saturday, May 29, 2010

My yard sale mom

Today was mom's umpteenth yard sale. She says it was her last and I say "I sure hope she means it this time." The last three or four yard sales were her last also so I don't know. I have my doubts. Yard sales in my opinion are a BIG pain in the butt. Sorting, pricing, folding, hanging, bending, lifting, sitting, standing, sweating, aching, wheeler-dealer-ing, and then after it's all over figuring out what to do with and where to put all the leftover crap. Like I said, a pain. Mom's been a yard sale queen for as long as I can remember. She gives them and she goes to them. Sometimes I think she goes to them to accumulate more stuff to give them. I'll never forget the times she talked me into tagging along on one of her typical bargain hunts. Oh yeah, those 6 am Saturday morning yard sales...loved 'em (not!). I'd take my own car (for a possible quick getaway) and meet her at "the yard". Sometimes we'd go to huge neighborhood sales involving every couple houses in an entire subdivision. We'd stop at one, hop in the car, stop at another, hop back in the car, me all the while following and trying to keep up with her spinning wheels. I can still feel my face turn red when I recall her actual peel outs to the next house. Yes, mom is/was a Yard Sale-A-Holic. She couldn't pass up a bargain if her life depended on it. She's a hoot, my mom, but I can't imagine her any other way. 


Emily holding up her future wedding dress. ha-ha

Who buys a wedding gown at a yard sale anyway? Apparently no one...this one didn't sell.

No comments:

Post a Comment