Thursday, May 5, 2011

A hero in the family

http://www.stlbeacon.org/issues-politics/112-region/110043-bin-ladens-death-closes-a-long-open-chapter-for-afghan-vet

With the events of the last few days I can’t think of anything more fitting than posting the above link to a story about my cousin Phillip, my Aunt Betty Lou and Uncle Tom’s son. Years ago I remember hearing talk of Phillip giving up his job and enlisting in the Army. I remember thinking to myself at the time “he’s crazy”. After all, he had a wife and three children at home (he now has four). He had everything to stay home and live for. I couldn’t imagine giving up a good job, leaving your family, and putting your life in imminent danger. I’m more selfish than that. I couldn’t understand then but a lot has happened in this crazy world since and I think I understand a little more. I now realize Phillip wasn’t “crazy” for putting himself in a position he surely didn’t want to be in. He wasn’t crazy. He simply cared. He cared about what happened to others and he wanted to make it better. When it comes to life’s tragedies there are those of us who tend to sit back and let others get involved and do “something” and then there are people like my cousin Phillip who actually do something. After reading his story I realize more than ever the meaning behind the term “war hero”. I believe my cousin’s a hero. My aunt and uncle must be extremely proud of their son. I know my dad would have been proud of his nephew. Phillip gave his heart for something he believed in and even though he paid a hard price he believes to this day he would do it all again. I think that’s the bravest thing of all.

Phillip, at one of Uncle Conrad's Christmas parties

Five years after 911:
http://graphics.stltoday.com/online/baldwin/

No comments:

Post a Comment