Monday, June 20, 2011

Just some songs



Just some songs...little bit country, little bit rock n roll, little bit soul, and a few good covers:

1) Paul Westerberg - Things
Absolutely love this song by Minnesota's Paul Westerberg, formerly of The Replacements.

2) Denison Witmer - Northern Sky (Nick Drake cover)
Denison Witmer from Lancaster, Pennsylvania does a great job on this sweet romantic Nick Drake song. 

3) The Moondoggies - Empress of the North
The Moondoggies are a four-piece band from Seattle. They're a serious band with a silly name that makes me think of old Gidget movies. Moon Doggie, aka James Darren, be still my heart. :)

4) The Moondoggies - Down the Well
and another from the dogs...

5) Hotel Lights - Falling Down
Hotel Lights, from Houston, TX is an American indie band founded by Darren Jessee, former drummer for Ben Folds Five.

6) Joseph Arthur - Out On A Limb
Joseph Arthur (discovered by Peter Gabriel in the mid-90's) is a singer-songwriter and artist from Akron, Ohio. Very talented artist.

7) Jim James - All Things Must Pass (George Harrison cover)
James Edward Olliges Jr., professionally known as Jim James or Yim Yames, is the lead vocalist, guitarist, and primary songwriter of Louisville, Kentucky-based rock band My Morning Jacket. Can't wait to see Jim James with MMJ (along with Delta Spirit) in August!

8) Thad Cockrell and Mindy Smith – I Know The Reason
Thad Cockrell, the son of a Baptist pastor, grew up in Tampa, Florida and I like him plenty.

9) Rural Alberta Advantage - Muscle Relaxants
The Rural Alberta Advantage is a Canadian indie rock band based in Toronto, Ontario. I like the name of this song and the way it makes my car's rear windshield vibrate when I play it.

10) Thad Cockrell - Pride
Another pretty song by Thad.

11) Sparklehorse featuring The Flaming Lips – Go (Daniel Johnston cover)
Sparklehorse was the work of singer and multi-instrumentalist Mark Linkous, who sadly took his own life in 2010.

12) Sparklehorse featuring Thom Yorke of Radiohead – Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd cover)
Turn it up. This is an interesting cover of a Pink Floyd (Roger Waters) classic. I really really like this one.

13) Will Johnson – Tangle For Less
What else can I say about Will? Love him.

14) Thad Cockrell - A Country Of My Own
One final country-type tune by Thad (and I don't even much like country).

15) Dawes - All My Failures
Dawes, a band from Los Angeles, recently backed Robbie Robertson on live shows to promote his LP How to Become Clairvoyant.

16) Kill County - Three Bullets
A sad sack banjo picking Oklahoma-based alt country kind of band.

17) Liam Bailey – I’d Rather Go Blind (Etta James cover)
Liam Bailey, an English musician, does an interesting version of an Etta James classic. I like his version...a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment