Monday, August 8, 2011

The way that he sings

Once in a great while Mark and I will go to a show on a "school" night and last Tuesday night that's exactly what we did. Heading to the Loop to see Jim James and his band, My Morning Jacket, play to a sold out show at the Pageant was a real middle of the week treat. This was my first time seeing MMJ in concert and not exactly the way I expected it to be. It was more of a good old fashioned rock show than I had been to in a long time. It felt like 1970-something. Mark and I were easily the oldest ones in the crowd, probably by 20 years or so, but that was okay. I think my "hipster" boyfriend kind of likes it that way and besides, young, old, or middle age, good music is still good music.



Opening up for MMJ was a young group of guys called Delta Spirit. Their first song was my personal favorite “Bushwick Blues”. Another song I wanted very much to hear them play was A.A. Bondy’s wonderful love song “Lover’s Waltz”. Ahh, the lyrics “Your shipwreck eyes, they sing to me as we ride a killer whale across a diamond sea”, I love that. No such luck hearing this song Tuesday night but maybe next time because I sure hope to see this band again.

Delta Spirit opener Bushwick Blues

Delta Spirit – Lover’s Waltz (maybe next time)

Delta Spirit (click to enlarge)
Delta Spirit

***
and now, My Morning Jacket









This video begins with My Morning Jacket taking the stage in the dark.
It ends (when the lights turn purple) with Jim James singing
The Way that He Sings" (and no does quite like him)

Lyrics:
Why's it so strange when they say that the world's movin upwards?
Why's it surreal when my hands feel they cant roll the dice?
Why's it so great just to wake every day, alive and by your side.
It's a mystery I guess, there's lots of things I cant find.
Its not the way that you look, but your move that catches my eye.
Why's it so soft when the cannons unload on the others?
Why're we so loud when we say it wont happen to us?
Why does my mind blow to bits every time they play that song?
It's just the way that he sings,
Not the words that he says, or the band.
I'm in love with this soul, it's a meaning that I understand.

MMJ performing (perfectly) the same song on Letterman

For beautiful pics of Tuesday night's show I wish I could call my own:

No comments:

Post a Comment