Friday, November 5, 2010

When the circus comes to town...don't go

I remember as a kid getting really excited about going to the circus. I remember thinking the tigers and elephants must be the smartest animals in the world to do all those neat tricks. It never occurred to me that they were forced (not merely “trained”) into performing and that the circus was no fun for animals, no fun at all. Crossing the bridge into work each morning I’ve been noticing a billboard on Hwy 55/70, like the one below. Over and over I look at it as I drive by and it makes me sad. I didn’t know about all the cruelty going on behind the scenes and I’m sure most parents who take their kids to circuses today don’t know about it either. If more people see the billboards by PETA and stop and think about the heartbreaking pictures they see, maybe they will learn. And maybe, hopefully, when the circus comes to town, many will no longer go.


A link with more information about the cruelty of circus animals.
http://www.peta.org/issues/animals-in-entertainment/circuses.aspx

An acapella version of a beautiful song.
Rachael Yamagata - Elephants .mp3
Found at bee mp3 search engine

No comments:

Post a Comment