Thursday, January 6, 2011

Why the sad face little buddy?


Last night my grandson Jude came by for a visit. A sweeter boy there never was, sweet...and serious. I love everything about Jude. In fact I love him to pieces. He's added a slice of joy to my life I never could have imagined. But being that he's such a serious little guy he always makes me work for a smile. I try everything. I blow on his tummy, tickle his toes, lift him up in the air and call him "Superman", make silly (and semi-degrading) noises and faces in hopes of a smile (or even a smirk), bribe him with toys, play horsey, pat-a-cake, and peek-a-boo, use my super duper high pitch baby voice, cluck and clack, say dadadada and mamamama and other such nonsense. I've tried everything, short of standing on my head (this I just cannot do).

I don't know, maybe I'm trying too hard. He's probably so puzzled and perplexed by my over the top behavior he doesn't know whether to smile, or cry. That's it! He's confused. I've confused my poor sweet grandson. I know how it is when people talk so fast and loud I have to wait till they come up for air to get a word in and sometimes I still can't. Smiling probably works the same way! Well, next time I see the little guy I'm going to try a new approach. I'm going to be calm and serious, like him, and we'll just see which one of us cracks a smile first. And, maybe, hopefully, it won't be me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment