Thursday, July 15, 2010

Art is everywhere

I don't remember much about my brief stint in college nearly 30 years ago but I do remember my favorite class -- "Introduction to Art History". I think that's what it was called anyway. English 101 bored me, but this class, and art -- no way. I remember sitting in the back of the dark auditorium mesmerized by the vivid colors and flashing images on screen. While some in class used the occasion for an afternoon siesta I couldn’t have napped if I'd tried. The styles, techniques, and lives of the Impressionist painters and the Post-Impressionism period in general made me want to know more. Some of my favorites of that period were Morisot, Cassatt, Renoir, Seurat, and of course van Gogh, who interested me not only for his method of using vibrant colors and swirls (which I thought were strange but beautiful) but also for the tragic circumstances of his life and death. How sad his brilliant work wasn't recognized during his lifetime. It makes me wonder if he had even the slightest inkling of his talent or how treasured his art would come to be. If I had one talent (I don't) but if I had just one…I’d wish it to be in some form of art. I can’t think of any gift more God given or meaningful.

Art of today is more open to interpretation I think. But is it everywhere like some say? If you look at something long enough and hard enough is it there? Is it in the street, in a tree, in a door, how about a window, a hand, maybe your feet? Personally, I don't think just anything is art but I believe there are too many times when it is there and we simply don't see.


song by Mojave 3 "My Life in Art"

No comments:

Post a Comment