Thursday, July 8, 2010

I created a monster...

I enjoy taking pictures and after watching my uncle's home movies I now have an interest in taking video. I suspect my enthusiasm has rubbed off on my boyfriend Mark because he now shares that interest. So much so that I think I created a monster...and I mean that in the most endearing way. :) We're not very good at this movie making business yet but we're determined to learn, and if Mark has anything to say about it, we will, with lots and lots and lots of practice [sigh]. My initial plan for having a camcorder was to document the upcoming birth/life of my first grandchild. That, plus other special occasions such as birthdays, anniversaries, family reunions and so on. Mark though has other plans for our new camcorder. He wants to document...everything.

This past Saturday we set out early with the camcorder in hand making stop after stop along the way. By our last one (not sure of the time but it was near dark) I was a smidgen irritated with the tiny cam consistently pointed in my direction. Well, not really; I'm kind of a ham... no wait, that's Mark. But anyway, by early evening I was tired, crabby, and simply wanted the "thing" off. I'm fairly certain though that as the years go by I will be grateful to my videographer pal for his dogged persistence in capturing the every day moments of our lives. Actually, truth be told, I think I already am...maybe because time has made me realize that the moments we live only happen once and when they're gone, they're gone. At least on film, in a way we can live them again.   

Mark and Nancy's Saturday Stops (w/ links and mini-reviews):

J Fires Restaurant in Waterloo
http://www.jfires.com/home.html
I like the clean town of Waterloo. J Fires is a nice restaurant with pretty interior, good food, and a fantastic outdoor arbor. I love how the leafy vines cover the top and hang down the sides providing shade and as our waitress informed us...a 10 degrees cooler temp. They have yummy strawberry wine here that taste just like...strawberries -- so good it's like drinking candy. I highly recommend this place.

Schorr Lake Winery in Waterloo
http://www.schorrlakevineyard.net/
An interesting winery with a really pretty lake (Schorr Lake) but with a strange vibe and slightly off putting atmosphere. Could it be the unfriendly owners (or employees) that made me feel intrusive? I don't know but this place has huge birds and semi-starved cats and when I was told I couldn't feed one of the latter I liked the place even less. I probably won't be going back (unless to rescue a bony cat).

Molly's in Soulard
http://www.mollysinsoulard.com/
Molly's has a large outdoor bar area that has become even larger since they acquired Norton's next door. For sentimental reasons I wish they had left Norton's as it was but it's still a pretty cool place to visit when in Soulard.

Chava's in Soulard
http://www.chavasmexican.com/
Best Mexican food around. Love this place, especially the De Guadalajara plate (tacos) and of course the friendliest waiter in town Steven...aka Jude Law. :)

Mangia Italiano in South City
http://www.dineatmangia.com/
Love love love, did I say LOVE their food! They make their own pasta here and the freshness shows. I've never had a bad meal at Mangia and with it being on South Grand it's a fun place to be. Hopefully I'll return again and again.

***
Ok, now for a little background on the video below (narrated mostly by Mark). It includes approximately 12 minutes of the nearly 45 minutes taken on Saturday and all will be thankful I'm sure for my amateur -- although effective -- editing skills (as I managed to cut off at least a good half hour of the original). What's left is a bit shaky here and there but as I said before we're still learning. Now available for your perusing pleasure (or not) is..."I Created a Monster".

No comments:

Post a Comment