Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Happy Anniversary true companion

My first date with Mark five years ago today was fun…and interesting. Interesting because we were strangers in a way and in another way not really. We’d known each other in childhood and had been casual acquaintances in high school but truthfully I don’t think either one of us gave the other much thought back then. Fast forward twenty-plus years we meet again and have our first date. It was on a Wednesday night at Norton’s in Soulard, when there still was a Norton’s in Soulard (it is now Molly’s). I remember practically running from the car into the restaurant in the cold night air and sitting down to a dinner of Cajun food that made my nose run…romantic indeed. I also remember a fireplace with a nice fire going and how warm, toasty, and good it felt to be inside. After talking a while of the good ole' days and catching up on the present I remember thinking I probably wanted to know my old acquaintance better. By the time the evening was over I was sure I did.

Now here we are five years later (below) celebrating our 5th anniversary. This year we celebrated on a Saturday night at The Melting Pot in U-City. In another situation I may have been a little squeamish at being served a plate of raw cut up chicken, steak, and shrimp but not with Mark at The Melting Pot. What a fun time we had sitting and simmering (by fondue) our own dinner, waiting patiently for it to be done, one skewer at a time. Cooking over a simmering pot kind of reminds me of relationships in a way…sometimes they can take a while for everything to cook gently, to simmer, and ultimately meld into something good and flavorful. That’s how I feel about my relationship with Mark. Everyone grows and changes with time. Maybe he and I are where we are today, together, because we had a lot of growing to do, separately, when we were younger. I hope we continue to grow together and get a little better and stronger every day.






the best for last, chocolate turtle fondue

The old song below is one I’ve loved for a long time and although written for a woman, I'd like to dedicate the sentiment of it to my true companion on our 5th anniversary. Turn it up Mark...it's a good one.



Link: http://www.meltingpot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment