Tuesday, March 29, 2011

If 50s the new 40 why am I 45?

The thought of turning 50 next month doesn’t thrill me. Of course it beats the alternative but frankly I don’t wanna turn 50. I don’t feel 50. Well occasionally I feel 50 but on most days I don’t. "50 is the new 40," or so some say. Movie stars say it. I'll say it too. “50 is the new 40”. Yeah. Sounds good. I think it means in earlier times when you were 50 you were 50 but not anymore. Uh-uh. These days thanks to advances in modern medicine, public health, diet, exercise (yeah sure), botox, and so on, people are staying younger longer. The old 50 is the new 40. What a comforting thought. So maybe that’s why it was a bit discomforting recently when a co-worker said he just COULD NOT believe I was turning 50. Discomforting because he then went on to say “You don’t look a day over 45”.  What?! Hey! If 50s the new 40 why am I 45???!  Did he really just say I look 5 years older than my age? To my face?! Well!! 


I love fuzzy math.

No comments:

Post a Comment