Monday, March 14, 2011

Rise to Me

Boy talk about bringing a tear to your eye. I just read the inspiration behind my favorite song off the new Decemberists album, The King Is Dead. The song is Rise to Me and listening to it breaks my heart. Colin Meloy, frontman of the band, wrote the song, along with his wife Carson Ellis, about their 4-year-old son Henry, who has autism. I can only imagine the longing to reach inside the world of an autistic child. I can only imagine.

"My son... is autistic. So that song is about mine and Carson's challenges," Colin says. "Thankfully, Hank is high-functioning. He taught himself to read when he was three, and he can tell you the Greek and Roman pantheon of gods, but can't use a door handle, and has trouble looking people in the eye - this would all be recognized by any parent with experience of autism."

A few lyrics from the song:

Hey Henry can you hear me?
Let me see those eyes
This distance between us
Can seem a mountain size

But boy:
You are going to stand your ground


beautiful beautiful song
The Decemberists - Rise To Me .mp3
Found at bee mp3 search engine

No comments:

Post a Comment