Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Is there any better?...

Oh how I love Neil Young's music. If I had to pick one artist that defined my angst-ridden teen years -- and beginning love and appreciation for music best -- I'd have to pick Neil. I was first introduced to his music in the 70s after I received my very first turntable. My cool sister Mel (becoming oh-so-much cooler) gave me the generous gift of ten vinyl albums for my 14th birthday. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. 10 albums! They included music from the likes of Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, T-Rex, Leon Russell, The Eagles, Poco, and more. None of the ten thrilled me more though than Neil Young's Harvest. I fell in love with it from the first listen and have probably replayed Harvest more than any other album, ever. I could play it today and still love it just as much.  That's the cool thing about Neil Young. His music doesn't age. It doesn’t grow old. Young people today still love this wild-haired old man, including my son Jake who's been a big fan for years. In 2007 I had the good fortune to finally see Neil perform live at Fox Theatre. It was something I'd dreamed of doing for a long time and an incredible experience I'll never forget.

He came dancing across the water... As far as a favorite Neil Young song, if I had to pick one of his many that stir me the most, it would probably be "Cortez the Killer" (from his 1975 album, Zuma). According to Neil he wrote the song while in high school studying the history of Hernán Cortés, a conquistador who conquered Mexico for Spain in the 1500s. Whatever the case, Cortez the Killer is emotionally gripping with amazing guitar work and lyrics. Mark put it well recently when saying about the song "Is there any better?" Of course that’s a matter of opinion but for me personally…nope, I don't think there is. For a song with no words well over 3 minutes into it, to yet inspire that question, says a lot I think. And, when at last the words begin and I hear the line “and she loves me to this day”... I think to myself what a perfect way of describing what I feel for Neil Young's music to this day.


For more Neil Young, check out my music room (right column).

1 comment:

Tyson K said...

Just passing through! I see on your profile page though that you like indie music, you might enjoy my blog...

http://UGottaHearThis.blogspot.com

Post a Comment