Monday, March 15, 2010

Sat. night = good food, good music, good fun

The fun-filled night began with a scrumptious dinner at Mangia Italiano on South Grand and culminated with hearing/seeing the Deadstring Brothers at Off Broadway on Lemp (short clip below) . I was a lucky girl to experience both with two of my favorite people – Mark, and my son Jake. The Deadstring Brothers are a lively, friendly, rollicking group of guys from Detroit, MI, and London, England. I guess their music would best be described as alt-country with a kind of 70s vibe and uncanny Rolling Stones sound (mainly due to the vocals of lead singer Kurt Marschke). I first became familiar with their music while perusing one of my favorite music blogs when I came across the song “Where are all my friends? I thought to myself what a great title for a song, so I clicked, listened, and have been a fan of the Deadstring Brothers ever since. When I heard they were coming to St. Louis I was thrilled at the chance to see them live. Their show Saturday night did not disappoint. It was incredible, and after it was over I left an even bigger fan...not only because of their "keep your body moving" music but also because they couldn’t have been more friendly and down to earth. I’ve loved artists for their music before but have at times been disappointed after seeing them perform live (an egotistical Ryan Adams comes to mind) but these guys had it all going on…great music, great artists, and great friends to their fans. How refreshing and fun is that.  

My introduction to the band – "Where are all my friends?"




Live from Saturday night…it’s the Deadstring Brothers


London lads in the band – Brothers Jeff and Spencer Cullum

New BFFsdrummer Travis, bass Jeff, my son Jake

One for the scrapbookMark and lead singer Kurt Marschke

Links:
http://www.dineatmangia.com/ (unique yet affordable dining experience…includes a little store where you can buy their fresh made pasta)
http://www.offbroadwaystl.com/ (great St. Louis venue to hear regional and national live music)

No comments:

Post a Comment